Saturday, November 3, 2012

Welcome

Hello blog-world.

This is my brand-new blog dedicated to chronicling my journey through my 1st month of NaNoWriMo.

Before I begin complaining about chronicling my NaNoWriMo journey (including excerpts from my proto-novel), I'll tell you a little about myself.

I'm a mother of 2 young children. Iris (almost 4) and Skull-Boy (2.5). These are obviously not their real names. But it's what they've asked me to call them lately (you really should watch "Ruby Gloom" - it's streaming on Netflix). Iris is quite supportive of my writing, while Skull-Boy attempts to sabotage my novel by pressing random keys and trying to get Microsoft Word to quit mid-sentence. I've recently decided to only write after bedtime.

I also teach English at a public school in California. This year my class load includes 3 classes of Freshmen and 2 support classes for English Language Learners. I've been teaching for 2 years and love it - although sometimes the system drives me crazy. I worked in the private sector for 7 years before changing careers and have also worked for non-profits. So I have a slightly different perspective regarding educational bureaucracy, unions, and social justice in education.

I'll likely get into all of that later, first I have to survive my first NaNoWriMo... for those who don't know, November is National Novel Writing Month and I've joined in this year (visit www.nanowrimo.org for more info).

Why did I decide to drive myself crazy just before the holidays? Honestly, I have no idea. I've always wanted to write a novel (although I do not suffer under the delusion that my book will be picked up and distributed... odds are I won't even send it out to publishers). And I do really enjoy a challenge.  Besides, it's a well know myth that all high school English teachers are failed novelists. So why not write a novel no one will read?

Of course, some people will read my novel. You will, won't you? I'll post bits and pieces to this blog and invite comments (please be gentle though, it's my first time).

Coming soon - the 1st half of the 1st chapter to my yet-to-be-titled chick lit (of course it's chick lit, of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment