Sunday, November 11, 2012

Excerpt - Faire is hot

Story starts here
Continues here

Then comes this:


“So, what’s on the agenda for today ladies?” Christian asked as he sat down at the table with Tiny and me. Jeanie took the spot next to him and intertwined their arms.
            “Well, I think we should make the rounds, see the shows and do a little shopping,” Jeanie turned toward me, “sound good Aiai?”
            “Sure,” I replied agreeably. “That works for me. I do need to pick up some fairy wings or a wand for my niece. And one of my coworkers said I needed to check out the Shakespeare group. She came last year and said their rendition of Romeo & Juliet was hilarious.”
            “They’re very good,” Tiny said, “this year is Othello, it’s pretty damn funny.”
            “When’s the next show?” Jeanie asked.
            I pulled out the program the ticket taker had handed me as I had entered and scanned it.
            “Looks like there’s a show in 15 minutes,” I told the group.
            “Well then lets head to the stage,” Jeanie suggested. She and Christian stood up.
            “See you in a bit then,” Christian told her. “My shift ends at 1, come and meet me for lunch.”
            As the two of them shared a long kiss, I turned away and Tiny caught my eye. He rolled his eyes and motioned toward the goblet. I grabbed it and took another drink, it really was quite good. I’d never been much of a beer drinker, but I could see myself drinking beer more often if it was like this. It was a little fruity, but not too sweet. I thought some more about the name… big taste, little bottle? Tiny bottle, towering taste? I’d need to think on it some more.
            Jeanie and Christian finally peeled off of one another and Jeanie turned to Tiny and me.
            “Hey slow-poke, you ready?” She demanded. “Oh, and Tiny, what do you have flask-wise?”
            Tiny stood up, “hold on a second, I have some stuff in the back of the ale stand.” He disappeared behind a large canvas panel on the side of the ale stand. I stood and stretched (as much as the corset would let me)l. Tiny returned with two different flasks.
            “I have rum and scotch,” he said, holding up the flasks.
            “Rum for me!” Jeanie grabbed the flask he handed to her.
            “Scotch for you?” he asked me.
            I smiled, “no thanks,” I said. “I’m not a hard alcohol kind of girl. Besides, I don’t think I could drink more than a few sips in this thing.” I patted my ribs.
            “You’ll get used to it soon enough,” Christian laughed. “I bet by lunch you’ll forget it’s even on.”
            “I doubt that,” I retorted, “I think Jeanie may have punctured a lunch when she strapped me into this thing.”
            “Oh Aiai, stop exaggerating and lets go. I don’t want to miss anything.” Jeanie grabbed my arm and pulled me off in the direction of the main thoroughfare. “Bye boys!” She yelled back at Christian and Tiny. The two men waved and then turned back toward the ale stand.
            Once we reached the main drag, Jeanie let go of my arm, unscrewed the flask, and took a long swig. She capped it and tucked it into a pouch on her belt.
            “This is going to be great,” she smiled. I hadn’t seen her this excited in awhile. Of course, she’d broken up with her previous paramour only 4 weeks earlier. She’s also been having a hard time at work lately. They’d cut her hours and she was having a hard time making ends meet. She claimed that it was across the board cuts for all employees, but that Starbucks was always packed so I figured it had more to do with her constant tardiness. She was living with me for the time being, she always did in between boyfriends. If her relationship with Christian was getting serious (Jeanie-serious, not normal people-serious) then maybe I’d get my place to myself again soon. While I loved my best friend, she wasn’t the easiest person to live with.
            We found the stage quickly and took seats near the front. Jeanie took out the flask again and took another long swig. I held my tongue. It was only 11, but it was the weekend. She was also wearing that skimpy costume and if I had to be in that thing I know I’d need a bit of liquid courage.
            The show started and Jeanie put away the flask. Tiny and my colleague were right- these guys were hilarious. Othello is a rather dark play, but they managed to get the audience rolling with laughter. Who knew that murder could be so funny?            When the show ended my ribs hurt. The actors milled around the audience with their hats out for tips, as we passed one he asked:
            “Would you lovely ladies spare some coin for a poor actor?” He held out his hat and smiled. He was about my height, 5’ 9”, with darker skin, short hair, and dark brown eyes. Very cute and quite charming.
            “Sorry,” I smiled at him, “all my cash is trapped inside my corset, somebody told me it was the only way to carry cash at Faire.”
            The actor flashed me a huge smile,
            “Well, M’Lady, perhaps I can help you… recover… your coin. My nimble fingers are well versed in corset strings.”
            I laughed, “Thank you, kind sir, but no thanks. Although if I do find a way to “recover” my cash I will come back. Promise.”
            “I will pray, fair maid, that I see you again. But know that my offer will never expire,” he took my hand and kissed it.
            I blushed and Jeanie laughed.
            “Come on Aiai, we have other things to see.”
            “Ah, Lady Jeanie,” the actor released my hand and turned to Jeanie. “You know this ravishing Lady?”
            “Yes Michael, this is my best friend Aileen,” she tugged my arm, “lets get going!” She seemed unusually impatient to move on.
            “Hold on a second Jeanie,” I shrugged off her arm. “Nice to meet you Michael.”
            He took my hand and kissed it again.
            “The pleasure is all mine M’Lady.”
            “Aileen, NOW.” Jeanie was pulling my arm again.
            “Sorry Michael, I have to go. It was nice to meet you, maybe we’ll see you later.”
            He smiled, “anon, fair maidens, anon!”
            I turned and followed Jeanie out of the stage area.
            “What the hell was that about?” I demanded as we moved out of earshot. “That was amazingly rude.”
            “He’s a jerk. It’s a long story. Come on, let’s head this way. I think they have fairy wings at the booth up past the bend.” She started walking and I stared at the back of her head in amazement. What just happened? I wondered to myself. I walked to catch up with Jeanie who had just taken out the flask again for another long swig. I had a sinking feeling that this was going to be a long day.

There are another 2 brief sections I need to post before This excerpt. I'm at 12,000 words. Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment