Sunday, November 4, 2012

Writing things in order is for wussies...

At least, that's what I'm telling myself. I haven't finished chapter one, and I've already written most of chapter 2. Oh well, I'll go back.

This might seem like a bit of a jump, espesically since you'll meet 3 new characters that I've yet to intro, but hopefully it still makes sense. I can only imagine how weird it would be to read it out of order (even though I'm writing it out of order, I still know the characters so it's less awkward for me). Bear with me. Hopefully I'll have all of chapter 1 done this week (in addition to later chapters) so you'll get to go back and read about Aileen's 1st encounter with Christian, Tiny, and Alex (the new characters... and did you know my main character's name is Aileen? You do now!)

Enjoy!


            A small child in a dirty peasants costume ran up to Christian.
            “It’s time! It’s time!” she yelled excitedly.
            I looked at him, confused.
            “Time for what?”
            “Closing parade,” he replied, “most of us circle through the site, sheepherding patrons to the exits. Then the real fun begins.” He winked.
            “Well, if it’s closing time I’d better haul her to the car.” I pointed at Jeanie who was passed out, her head on Tiny’s lap. “She’s going to be unpleasant tomorrow and if I have to deal with her hangover I should get a decent nights sleep.”
            I turned to walk towards sleeping Jeanie when Christian caught my arm.
            “You don’t have to leave, we have plenty of extra air mattresses for Jeanie. She can sleep it off in one of the tents. I can take her home tomorrow if you want to leave later tonight or you guys can go home in the morning. You’re one of us now.”
            “Thanks, but if I have to stay in this get-up for one more minute I think my ribs will stay this way.”
            “Hey Alieen, I have some extra stuff if you want it,” Alex piped up. “It might be a little big in places, but I can guarantee you it’ll be more comfortable than what you have on.” Her eyes twinkled, “plus, I have an amazing bottle of Chenin Blanc in my tent.”
            I sighed. She knew my weakness.
            “Fine, we’ll stay. But can someone help me drag Ms. Winehouse to a tent?”
            “I’ll take care of it,” Tiny stood and cradled Jeanie like she was a sweet sleeping child instead of a stone-drunk 28 year old.
            “Thanks Tiny, and if she pukes on you I promise to pay the dry cleaning bills.” I said, relieved, as he walked off towards Tent City. It was nice to have others around to help me take care of Jeanie. She was my best friend, but lately I felt more like her mother than her friend. I wasn’t sure if it I was just loosing patience with her Peter Pan syndrome, or if she really was getting worse.
            Christian smiled at me, “you really do take good care of her, don’t you?”
            “Someone has to,” I replied, “she doesn’t.” I sighed. “Sorry, that was mean. I’m just cranky from being squeezed into this damn thing all day. No wonder Queen Mary went bat-shit crazy, she was just pissed she had to wear a damn corset.”
            Alex and Christian laughed.
            “Come on Aileen,” Alex said, taking my arm, “let’s get you out of that thing.” She winked at Christian and turned me toward Tent City.
            We walked in silence to her tent. I was lost in thoughts about Jeanie’s drinking. She had always been a bit of a lush, but I’d never seen her this drunk before. It was one thing to have a couple glasses of wine as a social lubricant, but it was quite another to get so drunk you passed out. Had I missed some clues somewhere? Was something going on in her life that I didn’t know about?
            “You look worried,” Alex broke the silence.
            “Oh, sorry,” I replied, “I’m just thinking about Jeanie. She’s not usually so…”
            “Wasted?” Alex offered.
            “Yeah, I mean she likes to party. And she parties a bit harder than I do, but I’ve never seen her like this.” I bit my lip. “I mean, she’s 28 for goodness sake, not 21.”
            Alex squeezed my arm reassuringly, “I’m sure she’s fine. She was probably just nervous having you meet everyone. She really looks up to you, you know.”
            “Really?” I asked, surprised. “I always figured she thought of me as her sheltered baby sister.”
            “Sheltered yes, baby sister, no,” Alex said. “She told me she wished she could be more like you.”
            This had me confused. Be more like me? Thirty and single? I guess I did have a job I loved and could afford to pay my rent each month, but I didn’t exactly live the high life.  People don’t become teachers for the money.  I didn’t know how to respond, but by this time we had reached her tent. It was massive; three separate rooms you could stand up in, each with zip up door.
            “I think this is almost the size of my apartment,” I joked as we went inside.
            Alex laughed.
            “I love this thing,” she said. “I need room to spread out.” She opened one of the bedroom “doors” and pulled a sundress from out of a suitcase. “Try this, it should fit.”
            “Wonderful, thank you,” I replied as I slipped off my shoes, “can you reach back and unzip me?”
            “Sure.”
            She unzipped the back and I shrugged out of the over dress. Now for the corset. Alex undid the double knot and began to loosen the laces. I felt an immediate sense of relief. It was almost as if my torso had been asleep for 5 hours and was waking up again. My skin tingled and ribs sang with joy as I took my first deep breath since the morning.
            “Oh good gracious, that feels amazing,” I gushed.
            “Almost better than sex, isn’t it?” Alex grinned.
            “Well, almost,” I laughed. “It’s certainly close.”
            Alex helped me peel of the corset and herded me into one of the other rooms. I pulled the undershift over my head and as I did my ID and cash dropped to the ground.
            “Ah ha!” I cried. “There’s my cash, I owe Christian some for lunch.”
            “Owe me what?” Christians voice floated in from outside the tent. I pulled my undershift around me and yelled back, “get out of here, I’m not decent!”
            He and Alex laughed.
            “No one is ever decent after hours Aileen!” he called back.
            “Well I am, so shove off… Please?” I pleaded. I was not ready to be naked in front of these people. I liked them, but nudity wasn’t something I shared with most people – with any people really. The one time Jeanie had convinced me to go skinny dipping we were house sitting for my parents. It was just the two of us, and I refused to turn the pool light on. I certainly don’t mind nudity, I just don’t want to be the one who’s naked.
            “Alright,” Christian laughed, “you win. I’ll be by the bonfire when you and Alex are done. Jeanie is in Tiny’s tent, still dead to the world. I think she’ll stay that way for awhile.”
            I dressed quickly. The dress wasn’t a perfect fit, but the soft cotton felt wonderful on my skin after a day in the torture devise that was the corset. The built-in bra didn’t do much to actually hold anything in, but as I peeked out to see where Alex was I realized that what I was wearing was the Renaissance Faire version of a burka. Alex had put on fishnet thigh highs, a short pleated shirt, and a tube top… with suspenders. This was going to be an interesting night.

No comments:

Post a Comment