Friday, January 4, 2013

A Poem

It's been awhile. Too long.

I actually haven't written anything for the novel yet, but I do have some poems. So here's one.

Enjoy.


Griffin

His pudgy hands always seem to be sticky
even as they clutch his new precious,
a cheap plastic toy,
topper for his watered down lemonade,
a treat that went with his unbuttered popcorn at the
Sunday matinee.

Movie watching,
it takes a lot out of a toddler.

Little legs grown heavy and slow on the walk home.

In my arms now,
his arms wrapped tightly around my neck,
baby curls grown long tickle my nose,
head beginning to nod
as my familiar gait rocks him to sleep.

My arms can’t keep up with each new growth spurt,
so mama’s boy becomes
daddy’s little man
as small bodies grow too big to be soothed at the breast.

Asleep now in daddy’s arms,
curls bounce with each step –
jumbled clouds that catch his dreams…
I can’t bear to cut them,
those baby curls.

He seeks me out after nap time,
allows me to clear away the sleep with a spattering of kisses
and his ever-sticky hands encircle my neck as a
breathy toddler voice whispers
“love oou mama”
and he brings his nose to mine for an Eskimo kiss.

I hope he never gets too big for that.

-JRodgers

No comments:

Post a Comment